Definition of wattlebird in English:
1The largest of the honeyeaters found in Australia, with a wattle hanging from each cheek.
- Genus Anthochaera (and Melidectes), family Meliphagidae: four species
- From there she can watch red wattlebirds sip the indigo evening and goshawks, white as salt, hunt geckoes in the scrub, the sea a blue presence in her imaginings.
- The yellow wattlebird occurs in eucalypt forest and woodland.
- The red wattlebird moves about quickly and acrobatically within the tree.
2A songbird of a New Zealand family distinguished by wattles hanging from the base of the bill.
- The saddleback, a black wattlebird with a tan saddle of feathers on its back and a pendulous orange wattle at the base of its bill, has been translocated 27 times since 1925 and now inhabits approximately 16 islands.
- Three unique wattlebirds, the kokako, saddleback and huia are part of the ancient Callaeidae family.
- This should include the three endemic New Zealand families: New Zealand wrens, wattlebirds and kiwis.
Definition of wattlebird in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.