(also Japanese wax tree)
An East Asian tree with white berries that produce a wax which is used as a substitute for beeswax.
- Rhus succedanea, family Anacardiaceae
More example sentences
- Back in Japan, after the Edo period, raising wax trees was promoted and candles were manufactured domestically.
- Both the holly and wax tree are evergreens, their leaves have a somewhat similar appearance, and the wax insect that feeds off the wax tree is also found occasionally on the holly.
- Besides beeswax, Japanese candles were also made from plant-derived materials, such as Japanese lacquer trees, Japanese wax trees, and rice bran.
Definition of wax tree in:
- The US English dictionary