Definition of welfare state in English:
1A system whereby the state undertakes to protect the health and well-being of its citizens, especially those in financial or social need, by means of grants, pensions, and other benefits. The foundations for the modern welfare state in the UK were laid by the Beveridge Report of 1942; proposals such as the establishment of a National Health Service and the National Insurance Scheme were implemented by the Labour administration in 1948.
- Concessions made to the working class included a considerable welfare state and decent public services.
- The German government feared Americanization of the health sector and financial instability for the welfare state in general.
- National Insurance Contributions are used to fund parts of the welfare state, including pensions and the NHS.
1.1A country that has a welfare state system.
- But it's common sense that welfare states then need someone else to support so many pensioners.
- Simply stated, market-oriented East European countries are going to impose enormous competitive pressure on high-tax welfare states…
- Central European countries such as Poland, the Czech Republic, and Hungary have become ‘premature welfare states.’
Definition of welfare state in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.