Definition of wellspring in English:
1 literary term for well head (sense 1).
- Love, work and knowledge are the wellsprings of our life.
- The wellspring of his art was his superb draughtsmanship, demonstrated in the Codex Valardi (Paris, Louvre), a great sequence of drawings that served as a visual record and source for many of his paintings.
- It is a wellspring to draw on in this latest challenge.
2An abundant source of something: a wellspring of ideas
More example sentences
- It is at the source, the wellspring of our feelings, that we may then either amplify or transform them.
- They also underscore the enduring richness of the continent's cultural heritage, which serves as a wellspring of creativity worldwide.
- From the moment he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1988, his wellsprings of creativity almost completely dried up.
Words that rhyme with wellspringheadspring
Definition of wellspring in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.