Definition of wellspring in English:
1 literary term for well head (sense 1).
- Love, work and knowledge are the wellsprings of our life.
- The wellspring of his art was his superb draughtsmanship, demonstrated in the Codex Valardi (Paris, Louvre), a great sequence of drawings that served as a visual record and source for many of his paintings.
- It is a wellspring to draw on in this latest challenge.
2An abundant source of something: a wellspring of ideas
More example sentences
- It is at the source, the wellspring of our feelings, that we may then either amplify or transform them.
- They also underscore the enduring richness of the continent's cultural heritage, which serves as a wellspring of creativity worldwide.
- From the moment he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1988, his wellsprings of creativity almost completely dried up.
Words that rhyme with wellspringheadspring
Definition of wellspring in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan