- A predatory marine mollusc with a heavy pointed spiral shell, some kinds of which are edible.
More example sentences
- Family Buccinidae, class Gastropoda: Buccinum and other genera
- For main, if your feeling decadent, why not go for the lobster platter; langoustines, mussels, whelks, oysters all surround the halved lobster on a bed of ice.
- Overall, mussels, barnacles and whelks all had higher metabolic activities at SH than BB, whereas there was no difference in metabolic activity for sea stars.
- Think of molluscs and chances are it is shellfish such as limpets, whelks, scallops and mussels that spring to mind.
Old English wioloc, weoloc, of unknown origin; the spelling with wh- was perhaps influenced by whelk2.