- 1In contrast or comparison with the fact that: you treat the matter lightly, whereas I myself was never more seriousMore example sentences
- She's the one who is moving on whereas her parents are stuck with the story, are stuck in the past.
- He lived through his era, whereas so many of his friends died in racing accidents.
- Nanjing has also in the past been the capital of China, whereas now Beijing has that role.
- 1.1(Especially in legal preambles) taking into consideration the fact that.More example sentences
- Negligence depends on a breach of duty, whereas contributory negligence does not.
- Thus Mr Smith is now the respondent to this appeal, whereas Mr Clark was the claimant below.
- The desks have damaged the walls, whereas a more appropriate choice could have prevented such damage.
More definitions of whereasDefinition of whereas in:
- The US English dictionary