- The small silvery-white young of herrings, sprats, and similar marine fish, eaten in numbers as food.More example sentences
- ‘Wild puffins normally eat live whitebait, sprats and sand eels which they dive in the sea for,’ said Mrs Platts.
- In Dorset, mackerel usually arrive in June, as they chase the sand eels and whitebait inshore, sometimes chasing them right up onto the beach.
- It's illegal in New Zealand to sell any native fish without a permit - apart from whitebait.
More definitions of whitebaitDefinition of whitebait in:
- The US English dictionary