Definition of widen in English:
Make or become wider: [with object]: we should widen the scope of our investigation [no object]: his grin widened the lane widened out into a small clearing
More example sentences
- Asked about the move, his slow smile widens into a broad grin that crinkles the sun-wizened features of his face.
- Further south, and the Shannon takes on a different character as the river widens, and it flows through Lough Derg, its largest lake.
- There is barely room for two vehicles to pass at the moment and there is little scope for widening the pavement at that point.
- Example sentences
- London proceeded to lead the wideners to ultimate victory over the deepeners.
- The British were always wideners, viscerally opposed to all moves toward political union.
- The line of wideners cover a wide range of applications from lane construction to shoulder maintenance and back fill.
Words that rhyme with widenDryden, guidon, Leiden, Poseidon, Sidon
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan