noun(the willies) • informal
- A strong feeling of nervous discomfort: that room gave him the williesMore example sentences
- It gives even field-hardened terrorism experts the willies: bad guys launching shoulder-fired missiles at jetliners, killing hundreds and grounding air traffic.
- One tape gives me the willies - it's about a stuffed bear who is rejected in the store because he lacks a button, so at night he searches through the department store for the button that will make him loved.
- Because we don't have the experience of what would have happened under other policy settings, I think bright-eyed economic rationalism still gives people the willies.
late 19th century (originally US): of unknown origin.
More definitions of williesDefinition of willies in:
- The US English dictionary