Definition of wimple in English:
A cloth headdress covering the head, neck, and the sides of the face, formerly worn by women and still worn by some nuns.
- One day, as she roams deep in the forest, ill with allergies and the flu, her sweat-shirt hood pulled tightly around her like a postmodern wimple, Ann experiences an apparition of the Virgin Mary.
- The lord had always thought it was a shame that women, in the most blossoming point in their life, had to bind their hair and hide it under wimples and veils.
- ‘My mother will give you your first wimple and veil,’ she said flatly.
- Example sentences
- His dense collages are like the inner workings of a sputtering cartoon steam engine, ejaculating random phrases and shaky, wimpled shapes.
- There's a certifiable obsession with textures evident, each surface shaded in a different pattern: the plastered walls, the wimpled counters, the rutted tabletops.
Definition of wimple in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan