Definition of wing nut in English:
1A nut with a pair of projections for the fingers to turn it on a screw.
- A typical Lancashire-pattern wing nut on the heavy screw tightens the blade.
- The lid is held securely in place by a large wing nut and washer for easy installation or removal - a thoughtful, user friendly touch on the part of RCBS ' design team.
- The tension on the spring can be adjusted using a wing nut so it can grip the line tightly or loosely, whatever the fishing situation demands.
2An Asian tree of the walnut family, with a deeply fissured trunk, compound leaves, and characteristic broad-winged nutlets.
- Genus Pterocarya, family Juglandaceae
- This Wing Nut tree (Pterocarya fraxinifolia) is one of the biggest trees in Cambridge (more than 30m high and more than 10m wide).
3 (wingnut) US informal A mad or crazy person: some wingnut down in Finance
More example sentences
- Back then, the wing nut who hit Grogan probably was flagged only for unnecessary roughness.
- Better keep your heads down, little wingnuts.
- I had to go back through my text and remove words like "wingnuts" from my discussion.
Words that rhyme with wing nuthazelnut • beechnut • peanut • cobnut
Definition of wing nut in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.