noun (plural winterberries)
A North American holly with toothed, non-prickly leaves and berries which persist through the winter.
- Genus Ilex, family Aquifoliaceae: several species, in particular I. verticillata
More example sentences
- While its needles are still alive and fresh, we decorate the tree with colorful glass globes, tinsel, red winterberries from a deciduous holly, spruce and fir cones, and cotton to simulate snow.
- Plant lower-growing, berry-laden shrubs, such as winterberry and chokeberry, as a bridge from the trees to ground covers.
- Holly, winterberry, cotoneaster and many other food-bearers yield nutritious fare that's more appealing to a wider variety of birds than commercial food.
Definition of winterberry in:
- The US English dictionary