- 1(In folklore and classical mythology) a nymph inhabiting woodland, especially a dryad or hamadryad.More example sentences
- A beautiful woman - supposedly a wood nymph - stood partly in the shadows, with moonlight streaming down upon her.
- A manipulative wood nymph, Dunphia, competes for the attentions of the impressionable Keano with the pink dolphin god, Fergie.
- It bounded towards her, revealing a short wood nymph with impossibly tangled grey hair.
- 2A brown American butterfly of grassy habitats and light woodland, with large eyespots on the forewings and smaller ones on the hindwings.
More example sentences
- Genus Cercyonis, subfamily Satyrinae, family Nymphalidae: several species
- I believe they were mostly Harris's checkerspots and wood nymphs, or the like, but there were also the occasional monarchs, swallowtails, and mourning cloaks.
More definitions of wood nymphDefinition of wood nymph in:
- The US English dictionary