(also sweet woodruff)
- A white-flowered Eurasian plant with whorled leaves, smelling of new-mown hay when dried or crushed.
More example sentences
- Galium odoratum, family Rubiaceae
- Actually I tucked a few bearberry plants among them as a salve to his feelings, and that spread almost as satisfyingly as the woodruff.
- Wild garlic, woodruff, ivy, wild strawberry and violets provide the splendorous colour that gives the wood one of its many appealing qualities.
- First, though, I rip out the woodruff and lay the earth bare.
Old English wudurofe, from wudu 'wood' + an element of unknown meaning.
More definitions of woodruffDefinition of woodruff in:
- The US English dictionary