Definition of workman in English:
noun (plural workmen)
1A man employed to do manual labour.
- The tide had reached the ship, and now the workmen labouring about the hull were ankle deep in water.
- Shipwrights now required a labour force of workmen with a different set of skills who could saw to length and fit a ship together according to plan.
- One by one the quarries closed and the workmen were forced to find other employment.
1.1 [with adjective] A person with specified skill in a job or craft: you check it through, like all good workmen do
More example sentences
- The gearbox had to be removed and, as no spare part was readily available and we wanted to get home to Tyrone, the clutch arm had to be welded up and ground to size by a very skilled workman.
- I have no idea what he would have made of his pupil, but he's a really good workman with a delicate sense of lyricism.
- If there is a bad set of specifications and a bad set of materials no good workman can fix the problem, because it is intrinsically defective.
a bad workman always blames his tools
- proverb A person who has done something badly will seek to lay the blame on their equipment rather than admit their own lack of skill.Example sentences
- I just cringe at the very sight of cheap painting tools mainly because the old saying that a bad workman always blames his tools is wrong!
- My grandfather always taught me that a bad workman always blames his tools and the poor old Holstein cow is getting bad press because the type of Holstein a breeder may have ` built’ may not suit their management system or style.
- To those who tell you abruptly, in passionate discussions between amateurs, that ‘you should never use a focal length shorter than a 28 mm, otherwise you'd get too much deformation’ we want to answer: c'mon guys, a bad workman always blames his tools, just look at the results obtained by Roger Hicks in Interior Shots with his 14 mm!
Words that rhyme with workmankirkman, kirkmen, workmen
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.