Definition of wrapper in English:
1A piece of paper, plastic, or foil covering and protecting something sold or for sale: a sweet wrapper cellophane wrappers
More example sentences
- There are no bins and a few pieces of fast-food wrappers; sweet papers and bottles are the main offenders.
- When bringing the hunt out to the backyard, foil wrappers will protect the eggs from dirt and debris, allowing for fun as well as a sanitary outdoor hunt.
- Cigarettes began being sold in Britain in the 1850s, initially just sold in paper wrappers.
1.1A cover enclosing a newspaper or magazine for posting.
- Stamps were attached to the wrapper of the newspaper and couriers were hired to deliver Court to subscribers.
- And the title, suddenly revealed, stares out at me from beneath the cellophane wrapper of the cover.
- Maybe you could start sending the magazine out in a plain brown wrapper.
1.2The dust jacket of a book.
- If teens today feel they have time only to log on to the net and cyber chat, then they are not only shutting their minds off, but also loosing a lot of the rich heritage bound in between the wrappers of the books.
- Several months ago, our Conservation Services Division was asked to design a book wrapper for the use of the Princeton University Library.
1.3chiefly North American A tobacco leaf of superior quality enclosing a cigar.
- Prior to the turn of the century, the Corojo wrapper was the predominant wrapper tobacco used when rolling the famous Cuban brands.
- They may only shop for a certain wrapper or they only buy cigars that cost $4.
2North American A loose robe or gown: she put a wrapper over her nightdress
More example sentences
- The grand boubou (big boubou) consists of a gown worn over a shirt and trousers for men, and over a wrapper with a head-scarf for women.
- We use cloth gowns, drapes, and wrappers at our facility, and the laundering of our linen is contracted to on outside laundry service.
- She reached into the diminutive pocket located near the bodice of her wrapper, and procured a set of metallic keys hanging from a rather large gold ring.
Words that rhyme with wrapperclapper, dapper, flapper, grappa, kappa, knapper, mapper, nappa, napper, rapper, sapper, scrapper, snapper, strapper, tapper, trapper, yapper, Zappa
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.