Definition of wryneck in English:
1An Old World bird of the woodpecker family, with brown camouflaged plumage and a habit of twisting and writhing the neck when disturbed.
- Genus Jynx, family Picidae: two species, in particular the northern wryneck (J. torquilla) of Eurasia
- There are two additional subfamilies of the Picidae, Picumninae, which is the sister group of the true woodpeckers, and Jynginae (wrynecks), which is sister to the Picinae-Picumninae clade.
- On the same trip to Spain we also caught up with two other birds I most desperately wanted to see: the ring ouzel, another thrush with a restricted range, and the wryneck, a strange-looking and behaving woodpecker.
- Some, such as the wryneck, ceased to breed in East Anglia; others, notably the stonechat, all but vanished.
2 another term for torticollis.
- Congenital muscular torticollis, also called wryneck, is usually discovered in the first 6 to 8 weeks of life.
- Torticollis, also known as wryneck, is a twisting of the neck that causes the head to rotate and tilt at an odd angle.
- If not treated, wryneck may lead to permanent facial deformity or unevenness and to restricted head movement.
Definition of wryneck in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan