noun (plural xanthomas or xanthomata /-mətə/)Medicine
- An irregular yellow patch or nodule on the skin, caused by deposition of lipids.More example sentences
- The plasma has a milky appearance, and xanthomata appear in the skin as bright yellow papules particularly at the elbows, knees, and buttocks.
- Biopsy showed the papules to be eruptive xanthomas.
- Elevated levels of cholesterol and bile pigments in the blood can cause gallstones, xanthomas, and high cholesterol.
mid 19th century: from Greek xanthos 'yellow' + -oma.
More definitions of xanthomaDefinition of xanthoma in:
- The US English dictionary