- A crystal in an igneous rock which is not derived from the original magma.More example sentences
- This could represent a xenocryst derived from Archaean basement rocks of the region.
- Again, the lack of zircon xenocrysts in this sample does not allow discrimination between these alternatives.
- The xenocrysts provide evidence that earlier Neoproterozoic rocks were present in the region and that locally rocks date back to 1929 Ma.
- More example sentences
- Many of the intrusions contain veins and irregular patches of xenocrystic hybrid rock and granite.
- There is also a subpopulation of subrounded xenocrystic zircons, which are slightly more brown than euhedral grains.
- These are interpreted as xenocrystic cores and are of a similar age to zircon analysed elsewhere in the Anatolide belt of western Turkey.
More definitions of xenocrystDefinition of xenocryst in:
- The US English dictionary