Definition of xenogamy in English:
noun[mass noun] Botany
Fertilization of a flower by pollen from a flower on a genetically different plant. Compare with geitonogamy.
- Likewise, there was no difference between the xenogamy treatment and corresponding controls.
- There are no available data on the breeding system of C. longii to gauge the predominance of autogamy or xenogamy, or seed production due to apomixis.
- Both species use a mixed breeding system, consisting of xenogamy, geitonogamy, and autogamy; agamospermy is unimportant.
- Example sentences
- This species is xenogamous and self-compatible.
- Based upon similarities with other Lobelia species such as L. cardinalis and L. siphilitica it can be predicted that L. spicata is a xenogamous species.
- The value of inbreeding depression, measured at the level of seed set as a result of autogamous crosses with respect to xenogamous crosses, was 0 • 019.
Definition of xenogamy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan