- The lowest part of the sternum; the xiphoid process.More example sentences
- In brief, a small incision was made on the skin below the xiphisternum towards the left from the midline.
- Incorrect placement of the hands is more likely to cause rib fractures, and if the hands are placed too low over the xiphisternum this may increase the risk of injury to the abdominal organs.
- At 28 weeks, the fundal height lies at the lower third of the distance between the xiphisternum and umbilicus.
mid 19th century: from Greek xiphos 'sword' + sternum.
More definitions of xiphisternumDefinition of xiphisternum in:
- The US English dictionary