noun[mass noun] Botany
- The vascular tissue in plants which conducts water and dissolved nutrients upwards from the root and also helps to form the woody element in the stem. Compare with phloem.More example sentences
- Generally, a high recycling from xylem to phloem was observed in the old parts of the shoot.
- The conducting tissues within the vascular bundles are the xylem and phloem.
- The estimation of the water uptake and water flow in xylem and phloem was outlined by Jiang et al..
late 19th century: from Greek xulon 'wood' + the passive suffix -ēma.
More definitions of xylemDefinition of xylem in:
- The US English dictionary