- Tinara opened her mouth to reply, but she suddenly put a hand to her mouth and yawned.
- Alexis felt a compelling need to yawn but as she opened her mouth the arm tightened.
- As it hits the back of your mouth or throat try yawning, as this action will open up your throat.
- She would have to pass through great agony to become a part of the great yawning nothingness.
- Does one plug on, rounding out characters, filling in the yawning chasms in the plot?
- The void between rich and poor is now a yawning chasm and home ownership is but a dream for most young couples.
- Hugh Bradley was in the pool recently and said the two boys had yawns as wide as a hippopotamus' mouth.
- I tried not to show my boredom, but my yawns were coming quicker and quicker.
- And, since the good jokes don't come until the final third, a lot of yawns will have to be stifled.
- How are you going to get big voter turnout when everybody seems to think these elections are a big yawn?
- Because the dirty little secret is that most Americans still greet the MLS with a big yawn.
- It happened 15 years ago and it's been either a big yawn or a big laugh ever since.
- Example sentences
- Still, it wasn't unusual for a typical pattern to arise, almost yawningly predictable.
- As ever, the building's the Star, the exhibits yawningly, unyieldingly tiresome.
- Rashly, Theresa accepts a second date with Tony at which the gulf between them becomes yawningly apparent.
Old English geonian, of Germanic origin, from an Indo-European root shared by Latin hiare and Greek khainein. Current noun senses date from the early 18th century.
Words that rhyme with yawnadorn, born, borne, bourn, Braun, brawn, corn, dawn, drawn, faun, fawn, forborne, forewarn, forlorn, freeborn, lawn, lorn, morn, mourn, newborn, Norn, outworn, pawn, prawn, Quorn, sawn, scorn, Sean, shorn, spawn, suborn, sworn, thorn, thrawn, torn, Vaughan, warn, withdrawn, worn
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: yawn
Definition of yawn in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.