- A feeling of intense longing for something: he felt a yearning for the mountainsMore example sentences
- My yearnings for the taste of meat are becoming almost animalistic in their fervour.
- Maimonides compares this to the intense yearnings that a man feels for a woman.
- The feminine side in all of us sometimes represents fulfilment of spiritual yearnings.
adjectiveBack to top
- Involving or expressing yearning: a yearning hopeMore example sentences
- What is the suppressed focus, the yearning urge in our species to be so neccessarily linked?
- Is there no unhappy David to whom I can sing the yearning psalms of love?
- The accompanying soundtrack has the yearning vocal of one José González.
- More example sentences
- Her gaze wandered to Christopher almost yearningly, whose attention was preoccupied by Matt.
- I am glad to have MITECS on my shelf I glance at its covers yearningly and think to myself: If only I understood all of those 741 entries.
- Now history reveals that looking yearningly to America for inspiration in moments of crisis has in fact been a recurrent impulse within Britain's leading groups.