Definition of young offender in English:
1(In the UK) a criminal from 14 to 17 years of age.
- The scheme was devised by police and Bolton Youth Offending Team to help young offenders between the ages of 10 and 17 curb crime.
- It is obviously desirable that, where appropriate, young offenders should not be tried before the Crown Court unless this is clearly necessary.
- Mr Leigh also said the board needed to examine why the proportion of young offenders given jail sentences varied significantly across England and Wales.
1.1(In Canada) a criminal from 12 to 17 years of age.
- Next week we look at how the court deals with criminal cases involving young offenders.
- McAllister added that his scheme had helped young offenders convicted of robbery and burglary face up to the consequences of their crimes.
- I would like to see ways of supporting young offenders within the criminal system but outside of jail.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India