Definition of zany in English:
adjective (zanier, zaniest)
Amusingly unconventional and idiosyncratic: his zany humour
More example sentences
- His zany humour took comedy to new heights of absurdity.
- We both liked making costumes and had a similarly zany sense of humour.
- For those with a zany sense of humor, the adventures of Lieutenant Frank Drebin were a laugh riot from beginning to end.
eccentric, bizarre, weird, peculiar, odd, quirky, avant-garde, unconventional, off-centre, strange, outlandish, ridiculous, ludicrous;
mad, insane, crazy, absurd, comic, comical, clownish, farcical, madcap, silly, light-hearted, funny, amusing, chucklesome, diverting, waggish, hilarious
informal wacky, screwy, nutty, nuts, crackpot, cracked, oddball, cranky, kinky, off the wall, way out, dippy, cuckoo
British informal daft
Australian/New Zealand informal , dated dilly
nounBack to top
1A zany person.
- We are looking for the zany, the serious, the artistic and ridiculous.
- I love students, what a zany, crazy bunch they are.
- Example sentences
- It often thinks wackiness or zaniness is a virtue.
- Surely this is British zaniness at its very best.
- While rumors of alcoholism and overall zaniness have circulated in the press, I think this just adds to Lula's mystique.