- 1 • literary A soft gentle breeze.More example sentences
- Anything less than a wind of 30 miles per hour is considered but a gentle zephyr.
- All kinds of weather conditions marked the week, from strong storm fronts, to gentle zephyrs and horrendous wind-shifts, turning 180 degrees.
- Crickets were chirruping, a soft zephyr was softly blowing the tree branches, and everything was quiet.
late Old English zefferus, denoting a personification of the west wind, via Latin from Greek zephuros '(god of the) west wind'. Sense 1 dates from the late 17th century.
More definitions of zephyrDefinition of zephyr in:
- The US English dictionary