Definition of zygote in English:
A diploid cell resulting from the fusion of two haploid gametes; a fertilized ovum.
- A brief exposure to chloroform vapors kills vegetative cells but not zygotes.
- In charophytes, the first cell division of the zygote is meiosis, and their plant body is gametophytic.
- Those 10 frozen little 16 or 32 cell zygotes will never be used for anything else.
Late 19th century: from Greek zugōtos 'yoked', from zugoun 'to yoke'.
- Example sentences
- Several gametic and zygotic reproductive barriers were found in a cross between Japonica and Indica rice varieties.
- It is the sperm basal body that serves as a centriole in the zygotic microtubule organizing center.
- A post zygotic mutation restricted to somatic cells has been assumed to be responsible for most cases.
Words that rhyme with zygoteredcoat • tailcoat • raincoat
Definition of zygote in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan