Translation of penalty in German:
- 1 (punishment)Strafe Fem.the penalty for this offence is imprisonment/a fineauf dieses Delikt steht Gefängnis/eine Geldstrafepay/have paid the penalty/the penalty for or of something (literal or figurative)dafür/für etwas büßen [müssen]/gebüßt habenhis penalty was a £50 fineer erhielt eine [Geld]strafe von 50 Pfundon or under penalty of £200/of instant dismissalbei einer Geldstrafe von 200 Pfund/unter Androhung Dat. der sofortigen Entlassung
- 2 (disadvantage)Preis Mask.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries German
- German-English and English-German dictionary
- more than 840,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers German* and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to German words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts**
**Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com