Translation of steal in German:
- 1stehlen from Dat.steal a ride steal somebody's boyfriend/girlfriendjemandem den Freund/die Freundin ausspannen [informal]steal the showdie Hauptattraktion seinthe newcomer stole the showein Newcomer war der Star [des Abends]steal the show from somebodyjemandem die Schau stehlen od. den Rang ablaufenshe was the star of the play, but the little dog stole the show [figurative]sie war der Star des Stückes, aber der kleine Hund stahl ihr die Schau→ scene 2, → thunder 1 3
intransitive verb stole, stolen
- 1 steal from somebodyjemanden bestehlensteal from the till/supermarketaus der Kasse/im Supermarkt stehlen
- 1 (American English) (theft)Diebstahl Mask.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries German
- German-English and English-German dictionary
- more than 840,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers German* and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to German words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts**
**Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com