Against is translated by contro when it means physically touching or in opposition to: against the wall = contro il muro; is he for or against independence? = è pro o contro l'indipendenza? the fight against inflation = la lotta contro l'inflazione. - If you have any doubts about how to translate a fixed phrase or expression beginning with against ( against the tide, against the clock, against the grain, against all odds etc.), you should consult the appropriate noun entry ( → tide, → grain1, → odds etc.). - Against often appears in English with certain verbs ( turn against, compete against, discriminate against, stand out against etc.): for translations you should consult the appropriate verb entry ( → turn, → compete, → discriminate 2, → stand etc.). - Against often appears in English after certain nouns and adjectives ( protection against, a match against, a law against, effective against etc.): for translations consult the appropriate noun or adjective entry ( → protection, → match1, → law, → effective, etc.). - For particular usages, see the entry below.
- 3 (counter to, in opposition to) to go, be againstandare, essere contro (tradition, policy)the conditions are against usle condizioni non ci sono favorevolithe decision went against usla decisione non ci fu favorevolethe war against somebodyla guerra contro qualcunothe fight against inflation Smith against JonesSmith contro Jonesto pedal against the wind
- 4 (compared to)the pound fell against the dollarla sterlina ha subito una caduta nei confronti del o è scesa rispetto al dollarothe graph shows age against earningsil grafico mostra i guadagni rispetto all'età75% this year as against 35% last yearil 75% di quest'anno contro il 35% dell'anno scorso
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com