Translation of authority in Italian:
- 1 (power)autorità (feminine) (over su)the authority of the statel'autorità dello statoto have the authority to doavere l'autorità di fareto have no authority to donon avere alcuna autorità di fareto be in authority he will be reported to those in authorityverrà deferito a chi di doverewho's in authority here? to do something on somebody's authorityfare qualcosa secondo gli ordini di qualcunoto be, act under somebody's authorityessere agli ordini, agire secondo gli ordini di qualcunoon one's own authorityd'autorità
- 5 (expert)(person) autorità (feminine) (on in materia di)(book, film) opera (feminine) di riferimento
also: authorities plural noun(Administration, Politics)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com