Translation of away in Italian:
Away often appears in English as the second element of a verb ( run away, put away, get away, look away, give away etc.): for translations, consult the appropriate verb entry (, , , , etc.). - Away often appears after a verb in English to show that an action is continuous or intense: if away does not change the basic meaning of the verb, only the verb is translated: he was snoring away = russava; if away does change the basic meaning of the verb ( he's grinding away at his maths), consult the appropriate verb entry.
- 1 (not present, gone)to be awayessere via, essere assente (from da)(School)essere assente (from da)(on business trip) essere in trasfertaI'll be away (for) two weeksstarò via (per) due settimaneto be away on vacation, on businessessere in vacanza, via per affarito be away from homeessere lontano o via da casaI'll have to be away by 10dovrò andare via entro le 10she's away in Parisè a Parigishe's away at a conferenceè via per una conferenza
- 3 (distant in time)London is two hours awayLondra è a due ore da quimy birthday is two months awayil mio compleanno è tra due mesithe election, the exam is only days awaymancano solo pochi giorni all'elezione, all'esame
- 5 (for emphasis)away back in 1920nel lontano 1920away over the other side of the lakesull'altra riva del lago
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com