Each is used for any number of persons or things considered separately (whereas every implies any number considered together): each boy has his own bike = ciascun ragazzino ha la propria bicicletta. - Each takes a singular verb except when it comes after a plural word: each of them is coming but they each are coming = viene ognuno di loro. - Note that each is accompanied by a plural pronoun when both males and females are referred to: each student must have their own book = ogni studente deve avere il suo libro.
- (person, group, object) each time I, you doogni volta che faccio, faieach morningogni mattina, tutte le mattineeach person will receiveogni persona o ognuno riceveràeach and every daytutti i giorni(exasperatedly) tutti i santi giornihe lifted each box in turn, each one heavier than the lastsollevò una scatola dopo l'altra, ciascuna più pesante della precedente
- each will receiveognuno riceveràwe each want something different each of you, of them etc. three bundles of ten notes eachtre mazzette da dieci banconote ciascunaeach is equally desirable(of two) entrambi sono ugualmente auspicabili(of several) tutti sono ugualmente auspicabiliI'll try a little of eachne assaggerò un po'di ognunooranges at 30p eacharance a 30 penny l'una
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com