Translation of horse in Italian:
I could eat a horse
- ho una fame da lupi
to back the wrong horse
to eat like a horse
- mangiare come un lupo o per quattro
to flog beat a dead horse
- (British English) (American English) [informal]
(straight) from the horse's mouth
to get on one's high horse
- darsi delle arie o alzare la cresta
hold your horses!
it's horses for courses
- = persone diverse sono adatte a situazioni o compiti diversi
you can take o lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink
that's a horse of a different colour
to work like a horse
wild horses wouldn't drag it out of me
wild horses wouldn't drag me there!
- non ci andrei per tutto l'oro del mondo!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com