Translation of house in Italian:
nounBritish English: /haʊs/ American English: /haʊs/
- 1 (home) at my, his house to go, come to somebody's house to be good around the housedare una mano in casato keep housebadare alla casa (for di)you'll wake the whole housesveglierai tutta la casathe children were playing housei bambini stavano giocando al papà e alla mamma
- 2also: House(Politics)Camera (feminine)the bill before the houseil progetto di legge sottomesso all'approvazione della Camerathis house deploresla Camera disapprova
- 4 (Theatre)(auditorium)
sala (feminine)(performance)“house full” (on notice) is there a doctor in the house?
rappresentazione (feminine)c'è un dottore in sala?there wasn't a dry eye in the housetutto il pubblico era commossoto bring the house downfar venire giù il teatro per gli applausi
- 7 (British English) (School) (team)= ciascuno dei gruppi in cui gli alunni vengono suddivisi per partecipare a giochi o gare
transitive verbBritish English: /haʊz/ American English: /haʊz/
- 2 (contain)(building, room, library)
ospitare (collection, exhibition, books)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com