Translation of likely in Italian:
- 1 (probable)(explanation)
verosimile(excuse, story) [ironic]to be likely to fail, increase, face problems
bellorischiare di fallire, di aumentare, di affrontare i problemito be likely to become president, pass one's examsavere buone probabilità di diventare presidente, di passare gli esamithe man most likely to winl'uomo che ha più probabilità di vincereit is o seems likely that … it is not likely that o it is hardly likely that … he is not likely to come, refuseè improbabile che venga, che rifiutihe looks likely to fail a likely story! [ironic]questa è bella!a likely excuse! [ironic]bella scusa!
- 2 (potentially successful)(person, candidate)
- 3 (potential)(customer, client, candidate)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com