Translation of likely in Italian:
- 1 (probable)(explanation)(excuse, story) [ironic]to be likely to fail, increase, face problemsto be likely to become president, pass one's examsrischiare di fallire, di aumentare, di affrontare i problemithe man most likely to winavere buone probabilità di diventare presidente, di passare gli esamiit is o seems likely that … it is not likely that o it is hardly likely that … he is not likely to come, refusel'uomo che ha più probabilità di vincerehe looks likely to fail a likely story! [ironic]è improbabile che venga, che rifiutia likely excuse! [ironic]questa è bella!bella scusa!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
- Italian Grammar Notes for Italian speakers translating into English 7: CHE2
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 10: HER
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 11: HIS
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 12: IN
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com