- 1 (priest, registrar, parent)(bride, groom)to get married
sposarsi con, sposaresposarsi (to con)they were married by his uncleli ha sposati suo ziothey were married in 1989si sono sposati nel 1989will you marry me?vuoi sposarmi?
- 2 [figurative]sposare (ideas, styles, colours)to be married to one's job [humorous]vivere per il lavoro
- sposarsito marry into a familyimparentarsi con una famiglia per matrimonioto marry for love, moneysposarsi per amore, fare un matrimonio d'interessehe's not the marrying kindnon è tipo da sposarsito marry into moneyfare un buon matrimonio o un matrimonio d'interesseto marry againrisposarsito marry beneath oneselfsposarsi con qualcuno di condizione inferiore
- marry off [somebody], marry [somebody] off
accasare, sposare (to a, con)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com