Translation of narrow in Italian:
- 1 (in breadth)(street, valley, room, bridge, gap, vase)to grow o become narrow
stretto(road, river, valley)to have narrow eyes
restringersiavere gli occhi strettihe is narrow across the shoulders o his shoulders are narrowha le spalle strette
- 3 (in degree)(majority)
esiguo(margin)to have a narrow lead to suffer a narrow defeat
strettoessere sconfitto per un peloto win a narrow victory o to win by the narrowest of marginsvincere per un peloto have a narrow escape o a narrow squeak (British English) [informal]scamparla bella o salvarsi per miracolo o per un pelothat was a narrow squeak! (British English) [informal]l'abbiamo scampata bella o per un pelo!
- 4 (in size, shape)(shoes, jacket, dress, skirt, trousers)
- 5 (Linguistics)(vowel, transcription)
also: narrows plural noun
- 2 (reduce)ridurre (gap, deficit, margin) (from da) (to a)Elliott has narrowed the gap (in race, poll)Elliott ha accorciato le distanze
- 3 (reduce breadth of)restringere (road, path, arteries)to narrow one's eyessocchiudere gli occhi
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com