Translation of position in Italian:
- 1 (situation, state) to be in an awkward, impossible position the management is in a strong positionla direzione è in posizione di forzato be in a position to doessere nella condizione di fareto be in a good position to do to be in no position to donon essere nella posizione giusta per, non potersi permettere di fareto undertake something from a position of strengthintraprendere qualcosa da una posizione di forza o avvantaggiatato be o find oneself in the happy position of doing to be o find oneself in the unhappy position of having to dotrovarsi nella malaugurata situazione di dover fareif I were in your position put yourself in my position!mettiti nei miei panni!well, what's the position?
- 3 (place, location) to be in position(in place) essere in posizione(ready) essere prontito get into positionmettersi in posizioneto hold something in position(glue, string)please put everything back in its original position
tenere qualcosa a postoper favore rimettete ogni cosa al suo postoI can't see anything from this position the house is in a good position
- 1 (station)piazzare (policemen, soldiers)
- 2 (situate)collocare (flowerbed, house extension)
- 3 (get correct angle)posizionare (telescope, lamp, aerial)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com