When shall is used to form the future tense in English, the same rules apply as for will. You will find a note on this and on question tags and short answers in the grammar note . Note, however, that while shall can be used in question tags like other auxiliaries ( we shan't be late, shall we? = non faremo mica tardi, vero?), it is also used in the question tag for the imperative construction introduced by let's with no precise and fixed equivalent in Italian: let's go shopping, shall we? = andiamo a fare spese, eh? let's start working, shall we? = mettiamoci a lavorare, dai!
- 1 (in future tense)I shall o I'll see you tomorrowti vedrò domaniwe shall not o shan't have a reply before Fridaynon avremo una risposta prima di venerdì
- 2 (in suggestions)shall I set the table?apparecchio la tavola? vuoi che apparecchi la tavola?shall we go to the cinema tonight?andiamo al cinema stasera?let's buy some peaches, shall we?compriamo delle pesche, va bene?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com