- 1 (Games) (amount risked)posta (feminine) (also figurative)to put a stake onpuntare su (horse)high stakesuna posta molto altalow stakesuna posta bassato play for high stakes to raise the stakesalzare la postato be at stake there is a lot at stakec'è una posta molto alta in giocohe has a lot at stakesta rischiando grossoto put something at stakemettere qualcosa in gioco
also: stakes plural noun
- (in horse races, dog races)(money) premio (masculine)(race) corsa (feminine) a premithe Diamond Stakesle Diamond Stakes“France top in pay stakes” (Journalism) [figurative]“in Francia gli stipendi più alti”
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com