There is generally translated by là after prepositions ( up to there = fino a là) and when emphasizing the location of an object/point etc. visible to the speaker: put them there = metteteli là. - Remember that ecco is used in Italian to draw attention to a visible place/object/person ( there's our village! = ecco il nostro villaggio! there's my watch! = ecco il mio orologio! there comes Mary! = ecco che arriva Mary!), whereas c'è / ci sono is used for generalizations: there's a village nearby = c'è vicino un villaggio. - There when unstressed with verbs such as go and be is translated by ci ( we went there last year = ci siamo andati l'anno scorso; we'll be there in a few minutes = ci arriveremo tra pochi minuti), but not where emphasis is made: it was there that we went last year = è là che siamo andati l'anno scorso. - For examples of the above and further uses of there, see the entry below.
- (as impersonal subject) See examples:there is, arethere are many reasonsc'è, ci sonothere is some left once upon a time there was there'll be a singsong laterci sono molte ragionithere's no denying that …più tardi si canterà insiemethere seems o appears to benon si può negare che …suddenly there appeared a fairy [literary]sembra esserci o che ci siathere arose cries from the audience [literary]all'improvviso apparve una fatadal pubblico si levarono delle grida
- 2 (at or to that place) stop theresign there pleasefermo làstand therefirmi lì, per favorego over there are you still there? (on phone) since we were last there it's there that …mettiti làè là che …(when indicating)to go there and back in an hourè laggiù che …take the offer while it's there [figurative]andare e tornare in un'ora
- 3 (to draw attention)(to person, activity etc.)(to place)what have you got there? there they gothere goes the coachecco che se ne vannothere you go again [figurative]ecco il pullman che se ne vathere you are(ecco che) ci risiamo(seeing somebody arrive)eccoti(giving object)ecco a te(that's done)there is a hammer, are some nailsecco fatto, eccoti servitothere's a bus comingecco un martello, dei chiodilisten, there's my sister calling that paragraph, sales assistant thereecco (che arriva) l'autobusmy colleague there will show youquel paragrafo lì, quel commesso (lì)which one? this one or that one there?il mio collega le mostreràwhat does it say there?quale? questo qui o quello là?there's why!cosa dice lì?ecco il perché! ora si spiega tutto!
- 4 (indicating arrival) See examples:will she be there now?when do they get there?ci sarà adesso?there I was at lastquando arrivano là?the train won't be there yetfinalmente ci arrivai o arrivai làwe get off thereil treno non sarà ancora arrivatoscendiamo là
- 5 (indicating juncture) See examples:there we must finishI'd like to interrupt you thereci dobbiamo fermare lìthere was our chancemi permetto di interromperlaI think you're wrong thereera la nostra occasioneso there we were in the same cellpenso che ti stia sbagliando su quelloe così siamo finiti nella stessa cella
- 6 [informal] (emphatic) See examples:that there contraption hello there!hey you there!ciao!ehi tu!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 19: NOTHING
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 10: HER
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 11: HIS
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 12: IN
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com