Translation of Sambo in Spanish:
noun plural Sambos
- [slang] [offensive]negro, (-gra) (masculine, feminine)(as form of address)
negro, (-gra) (masculine, feminine) [offensive]Example sentences
- Surveying labor history - with scabs branded ‘white Sambos’ and blacks called ‘smoked Irishmen ‘- Roediger imagines a post-racial political culture.’
- One energetic white man, working with a will, would easily pick as much cotton as half a dozen Sambos and Sallies.
- The religion practiced in the quarters gave the slaves the one thing they absolutely had to have if they were to resist being transformed into the Sambos they had been programmed to become.
- A ‘quarter-white’ was thus a sambo, a mulatto was ‘half white’, a quadroon was ‘three-quarters white’, and a mestizo was ‘seven-eighths white’.
- Ron visited the Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia in Michigan where he learned about the cultural significance of golliwogs and sambo dolls.
- We'd get black, oily marks on our knees because it was a wrestling hall used by sambo wrestlers.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.