Translation of absolute in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (complete, perfect) with absolute certaintycon absoluta or plena certezathe absolute truthla pura verdadan absolute beginnerun principiante que no sabe absolutamente nadaat the absolute maximumcomo máximo
a lo sumoExample sentences1.2 (as intensifier) it was an absolute disaster
fue un absoluto desastre or un desastre totalabsolute chaos/disasterel caos/desastre más absolutohe's an absolute idiotes un tonto redomadoshe gave me a look of absolute hatredme lanzó una mirada de odio reconcentradoit's an absolute disgracees un escándalo
- Because, as the hatchway ground shut at the center of his dazed vision, something far more shocking took hold - a total and absolute silence.
- Wilkinson is a desperately complex person, driven by a need for absolute perfection and total control in his life.
- When I saw it, the entire audience left the theatre in absolute silence.
- 2 2.1 (unconditional)(right)
sin condiciones(guarantee/devotion)it's an absolute necessity
absolutoes absolutamente imprescindibleour decree became absolutenos concedieron el divorcio por sentencia firme2.2 (having unlimited power)(monarch/rule)
- A great character: he's portrayed as being benign, a dictator, absolute ruler, yes, but beloved by his people.
- Nevertheless, even absolute monarchs or totalitarian dictators are constrained by forces beyond their control.
- Under the Australian constitution, drawn up in 1901, the governor-general has the powers of an absolute dictator.
- 3 (not relative) an absolute goodun bien absolutoin absolute termsen términos absolutosabsolute knowledge (Philosophy)conocimiento (masculine) absolutoExample sentences
- All wheat parameters we studied were unresponsive to blue light, so comparisons between relative and absolute blue light responses are not meaningful.
- But many economists believe that relative poverty rather than absolute standards is what matters.
- The right will no doubt point out that this is a comparison of relative, rather than absolute poverty.
- (Philosophy) the Absolutelo or el absolutoExample sentences
- Chittamatra, or Mind-Only school, presents a threefold classification of reality as the imaginary, the dependent and the absolute.
- The devotees sing bhajans, chant incantations, and priests perform aarti and puja, invoking the blessings of Shiva, the divine, the pure, the absolute.
- The order of reason accepts that the world is the realm of the relative; the order of prophecy imposes upon the world the pattern of the absolute.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.