Translation of absorb in Spanish:
- 1 1.1(light/energy/rays/sound/fumes)
absorber(impact/shock)the champion absorbed a lot of punishment
amortiguarel campeón recibió mucho castigoExample sentences1.2 (assimilate)
(information/experience)she absorbed the atmosphere of the city
- For instance, ceiling tiles that absorb sounds and reduce noise levels can cost about the same as materials that are less sound-absorbent.
- With residue, the raindrop impact is absorbed and erosion is reduced.
- In an open office, its acoustic function is to absorb sound and reduce the reflection of sounds back down into the office space.
asimilarse impregnó del ambiente de la ciudadthe firm has survived by absorbing its competitorsla empresa ha sobrevivido absorbiendo a sus competidoresthe market is unable to absorb the surplus productionel mercado no puede absorber el excedente de producciónindustry will have to absorb the consequencesla industria tendrá que asumir las consecuenciasExample sentences
- Michael understood that he would never fully absorb the French experience if language were a barrier.
- To a certain extent, all through life we absorb information we understand, or about which we care, and filter the rest.
- He is a bright young man who absorbs information and experiences like a sponge.
- 2 2.1 (soak up)(sponge/cloth)
absorberExample sentences2.2 (use up)
- Molecules may change their rotational energy levels by absorbing energy from electromagnetic radiation in the microwave region of the spectrum.
- Carbon dioxide primarily absorbs infrared energy emitted by the Earth, thus contributing to the greenhouse effect and warming the Earth's surface and the atmosphere.
- Electrons in the mineral absorb the energy from the activator and become excited.
- Too often, remedial actions tend to absorb resources to the detriment of preventive measures.
- The report says that these demands are absorbing resources, thereby reducing funds for community services that could help to contain rising hospital admissions.
- The actions of a few uncontrolled patients rebound on the rest of us, absorbing scarce resources and driving staff from the NHS.
- 3 (engross)Example sentences
- I love being so absorbed in a book that I don't hear the things going on around me.
- He hadn't heard her come up the stairs or enter the apartment he was so absorbed in his book.
- She managed to make it look as if she were absorbed in the book when John threw her door open.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.