Translation of against in Spanish:
- 1 (in opposition to) we voted against the motionshe set my own son against mevotamos en contra de or contra la mociónI'm against capital punishmentpuso a mi propio hijo contra mí or en contra míaif you're not with us, you're against usestoy en contra de la pena de muertetwo against one personally, I've nothing against her have you got something against going by train?si no estás con nosotros, estás contra nosotros or en contra nuestra or en contra de nosotroshe succeeded against all expectations it's against my principles to eat meat¿tienes algún problema en ir en tren?I advised her against driving to workcomer carne va en contra de mis principiosher politics are against herle aconsejé que no fuera al trabajo en cochesu postura política no la favorece
- 3 3.1 (alongside) the table stood against the wallthey checked the list against the originalla mesa estaba contra la paredhe put a cross against my namecotejaron la lista con el original3.2 (on, onto) to lean against somethingpuso una cruz al lado de mi nombreto bang one's head against the wallapoyarse contra algodarse con la cabeza contra la paredExample sentences
- This is done by cutting off all fruited canes at the base and untangling new growth and tying it to supports against the wall or fence.
- After one last, warning crush, he let go, my frame slumping against the wall for support.
- She put out a hand against the wall for support, and took several soothing breaths.
- 4 4.1 (in contrast to) it stands out against the dark background4.2 (in comparison to, in relation to) See examples: our results look poor against theirsresalta contra el fondo oscurothe pound dropped to a new low against the dollarnuestros resultados desmerecen al lado de los suyos or comparados con los suyosla libra registró un nuevo mínimo frente al dólarExample sentences
- The benefits of overthrow must of course be weighed against the horrific costs of war.
- Vaccinations are expensive and costs must be weighed up against the risks involved.
- Businesses say the advantages of trading with Europe have to be weighed against the increased cost of red tape.
- Behind us, a small silhouette against a light grey sky was the castle.
- Mai appeared at the door, silhouetted against the brighter light from the other room.
- All but one of the boilers remained in position, silhouetted against the green water and ambient light.
- 5 (as protection from) it's insured against theftit's no good against the coldestá asegurado contra robono protege contra el fríoExample sentences
- A curtain has been fixed at the eastern end of the shelter as a protection against the driving wind and rain.
- Vines are trained on low bushes as protection against the strong winds.
- He had a brown suede jacket with light brown denim pants, his collar was turned up against the wind.
- 6 6.1 (in return for) [formal]it can only be issued against payment in full6.2 (in anticipation of) [literary]solo puede expedirse si se abona en su totalidaden previsión deExample sentences
- Claire gritted her teeth against the pain, a high, keen sound escaping her lips.
- Uranium was used to shield tanks against attack by conventional armour-piercing weapons.
- It is, for the time being, a great insurance against any terrorist attack.
- Invoice financing is similar to factoring, where banks lend against sales and money owed by debtors.
- Landlords can offset the interest they pay on their mortgage against rental income to reduce the amount of tax they pay.
- This has resulted in massive volume growth in lending against rising asset values.
- there were 250 votes for and 300 againsthubo 250 votos a favor y 300 en contraExample sentences
- It is vital in the fight against crime that the public is able to trust law enforcement officials.
- He has fought against it in government, in opposition and within his own party.
- In opposition, we were against the privatisation of air traffic control, then did the opposite in power.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In Spain, a geographical, social, and culturally homogeneous region, with a clear natural or administrative demarcation is called a comarca. Comarcas are normally smaller than