Translation of agree in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 (be in agreement over) to agree (
that) estar* de acuerdo ( en que) they all agreed (that) it was too late todos estuvieron de acuerdo en que era demasiado tarde yes, it must feel odd, he agreed —sí, debe resultar extraño —asintió 1.2 (reach agreement over) decidir it was agreed that he should go on his own se decidió que fuera él solo to agree when/ what/ howetc ponerse* de acuerdo en cuándo/ en qué/ en cómoetc to agree to + infinitive/infinitivoquedar en+ infinitive/infinitivothey agreed to meet at six quedaron en encontrarse or verse a las seis let's agree to differ o disagree, shall we? dejémoslo, no vale la pena discutir: ni tú me vas a convencer a mí ni yo a tiExample sentences1.3 (decide on) [price] acordar*; [date/details] decidir, concertar*
- The plan involves agreeing a pay rise for this year and continuing negotiations over wage increases for the next two years.
- It was agreed that negotiations should take place with both contractors.
- After negotiation, we agree a set of terms under which the autopsy will be performed.
- 2 2.1 (consent) to agree to +
infinitive/infinitivoaceptar + infinitive/infinitivoshe agreed to accompany me aceptó acompañarme, dijo que me acompañaría I reluctantly agreed to help her consentí en ayudarla 2.2 (admit, concede) to agree ( that) reconocer* or admitir or aceptar ( que)Example sentences
- Magistrates cannot order that people be removed to hospital unless the hospital authority agrees to accept them.
- To avoid the authorities, he agrees to accompany an inventor to go around the world in 80 days.
- She was so thrilled by the prospect of motherhood that Thorn follows the advice of a priest and agrees to accept an orphan child as his own.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1 (be of same opinion) estar* de acuerdo I couldn't agree more estoy completamente de acuerdo I quite agree lo mismo digo yo don't you agree? ¿no te parece?, ¿no crees? to agree
aboutsth estar* de acuerdo or coincidir enalgo at least we agree about that por lo menos en eso estamos de acuerdo or coincidimos to agree withsb/sth estar* de acuerdo conalgn/algo I can't agree with you there en eso sí que no estoy de acuerdo contigoExample sentences
- We agreed on the main issue: that new technologies make it possible for this to be done.
- This is the underlying issue which campaigners agree must be tackled in years to come.
- Nevertheless almost everybody agrees that a thought is produced when the brain neurons fire.
agree onverb + preposition + object/verbo + preposición + complemento [date/details] acordar*, ponerse* de acuerdo en we can't agree on a color/price no nos ponemos de acuerdo en el color/precio one thing we agree on is … en lo que estamos de acuerdo or coincidimos es en que … a date to be agreed on later una fecha que se decidirá or se concertará más adelante they finally agreed on two o'clock al final quedaron en verse ( or salir etc) a las dos
agree toverb + preposition + object/verbo + preposición + complemento (consent to) [terms/conditions] aceptar they wanted to get married, but their parents wouldn't agree to it se querían casar, pero sus padres no lo consentían
agree withverb + preposition + object/verbo + preposición + complemento 1.1 [food/drink/climate] wine doesn't agree with him el vino le sienta mal or no le sienta bien the heat didn't agree with me el calor no me sentaba 1.2 (approve of) [policy] estar* de acuerdo con, aprobar*
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A patera is a boat with a shallow draft, used by illegal immigrants, known as balseros, to cross the Straits of Gibraltar from Morocco to southern Spain.