Translation of and in Spanish:
The usual translation of and, y, becomes e when it precedes a word beginning with i, hi, or y. and is sometimes used between two verbs in English to mean in order to: let's wait and see esperemos para ver qué or lo que pasa.
- 1 1.1 black and white father and son ham and eggshuevos con jamónbread and butter to mix business and pleasuremezclar los negocios con el placerso we decided to leave — and?así que decidimos irnos — ¿y?during June and/or Julydurante junio y/o juliobut there are journalists and journalists!¡pero hay periodistas y periodistas!Example sentences1.2and so on o and so forth and so on, and so forth
- The shop, which sells donated books and CDs, helps owners on benefits to pay for treatment for sick pets.
- He and I had been friends for a long time.
- He was wearing a navy blue and green anorak.
- 2 (in numbers) one and a half two hundred and twentydoscientos veintean hour and five minutesuna hora y cinco minutosfive and forty (archaic or literary)Example sentences
- She's sick of spending her lunches with people that are so stupid they can't add two and two.
- I believe that four and four are eight.
- I know that two and two make four - and should be glad to prove it too if I could.
- 3 (showing continuation, repetition) faster and fastercada vez más rápidoit gets easier and easierse hace cada vez más fácilhe just eats and eatsno hace más que comerweeks and weeks passedpasaron muchas semanas
pasaron semanas y más semanasExample sentences
- I've been a humongous fan of his music for years and years.
- I ran and ran until I reached the outskirts of the forest.
- This was a very flat land - he could see for miles and miles, it seemed.
- 4 (with inf) try and finish this todaytrata de terminar esto hoywe must wait and see what she doestenemos que esperar a ver lo que hacecome/go and help your fatherven/anda a ayudar a tu padreExample sentences
- We're going to see a day where 100,000 people come and worship with us on a weekend, between our five services.
- Our primary objective right now is to try and market the region as a whole.
- The experts also advise that you try and keep your cool.
- 5 5.1 (implying a result) a minute longer and he would have drowned [colloquial]un minuto más y se habría ahogado [colloquial]Example sentences
Example sentences5.2 (adding emphasis) something should be done, and quickly
- I opened the door and looked around.
- The man then ran towards a waiting car and was driven away by someone else.
- I lifted my arm and wiped my eyes with my sleeve.
habría que hacer algo, y rápidothose who refuse, and there are many …los que se niegan, y son muchos …Example sentences
- But the fun had gone out of it and the next day we did not travel.
- Early successes in some areas were dramatic, and by the early 1960s malaria was reduced to very low levels in certain countries.
- Don't take the movie too seriously, and you might enjoy it too.
- Spamming is getting worse and worse - and more profitable for spammers.
- This case just continues to get more and more complex.
- Meeting the needs of a growing population will require the country to sink further and further into debt.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.