Translation of antecedent in Spanish:
- 1.1 (precursor, forerunner) antecedente (masculine), precursor, (masculine, feminine) 1.2 [Linguistics/Lingüística] [Mathematics/Matemáticas] [Philos] antecedente (masculine)Example sentences
- It traces the historical antecedents to freed people's intense desire to become literate and demonstrates how the visions of enslaved African Americans emerged into plans and action once slavery ended.
- There are literary and historical antecedents to this book, too.
- Pundits have searched for literary antecedents to this creature.
- Plural pronouns with nominally singular antecedents like ‘everyone’ have been a major battlefield in the grammar wars.
- Because they are free of antecedents, such clauses are sometimes called independent or free relative clauses.
- He thinks the word ‘everyone’ is singular, so it can't be the antecedent of a third person plural pronoun like ‘they’ or ‘their’.
- Obedience to a hypothetical imperative is always obedience to the condition expressed in its antecedent.
- If the antecedent of a conditional is false, the statement is always true!
- ‘If lying is wrong, then he will lie,’ has an antecedent whose embedded content is the same as a statement predicating the property on which the speakers moral disapproval supervenes.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.